After falling out of favor for years, wallpaper is back in vogue, taking over homes across the country. Even Sarah Jessica Parker has started designing her own wallpaper. But this is not your grandma’s dowdy wallpaper — today’s offerings are bold, modern, and eye-catching statement pieces even if the design is at times retro. Some need tools and glue to adhere, and some are peel and stick. Either way, they are stunning.
Several factors contribute to wallpaper’s renewed popularity:
- Nostalgia – Millennials are drawn to vintage styles that evoke a sense of nostalgia. Wallpaper harkens back to its popularity in the 1970s and evokes a retro feel.
- Individuality – Wallpaper offers endless customization to make any space unique. From geometric patterns to nature motifs, options are limitless.
- Texture – Smooth-painted walls have been the norm for decades. Wallpaper provides welcomed texture and visual interest.
- Dimensionality – Wallpaper can make a wall into a feature. Three-dimensional designs and color blocking add depth.
- Affordability – Unlike remodeling, while high-end options exist, many wallpaper choices are budget-friendly DIY projects.
- Creativity – Wallpaper allows for immense creativity. Mix patterns in one space, accent a single focal wall or cover entire rooms.
- Fearlessness – Bold, daring wallpaper designs reflect a new willingness to take risks with decor.
In the Hamptons and on the North Fork, we are particular about our local culture, and using it as inspiration, we found stunning ways to incorporate the local vibe onto any wall.
MILTON & KING BLUE HYDRANGEA WALLPAPER
WAVE DESIGN SURFBOARD WALL ART BY POTTERY BARN
GERMANE PINK SURFING HAWAIIAN WALLPAPER
THE ARTCIRCLE INTO THE SURF
SUNBATHING BABES WALLPAPER BY NEEDLECRAFT_NOMAD
THE GARDEN TRELLIS
While wallpaper may cycle in and out of fashion, its current stronghold shows no signs of abating. As more options hit the interior design market daily, expect stunning wallpaper to continue infiltrating design-lover spaces — especially on the East End.